I told you it was cold...check out the frozen fountain! BRRR!
Dad recruited my brother and his wife to run with us too! My nephew couldn't resist getting in the picture with the runners. Isn't he adorable?? How about my brother, who didn't train at all for this, running in just over 24 minutes...grrr...people like that make me so mad. :) Okay, not really - just jealous, that's all. I'm proud of him - that's awesome! It was pretty fun to see him cheer me across the finish line, too. I think this is the first race he's seen me run in!
I just love this race. It starts with a gradual incline for the first mile. I had already warmed up, so I felt pretty good. With a focus on a PR (which I don't typically do), I had to create a new mindset. I talked to my husband about it earlier this week and he gave me a new idea: just run fast the whole time. He's brilliant, friends, just brilliant. Why hadn't I ever thought of that?? 5ks are typically my worst races because I just take so long to warm up and feel comfortable. But honestly, I don't want to feel comfortable! I want to push myself and run as fast as I can!! So I listened to him. I ran the first mile in 9:21, the second in 8:33 and the third in 8:40 - I sprinted the last tenth of a mile in 7:32. My average was 8:49/mile. Just to give you an idea, I'm typically a 9:30/10:00 minute mile runner in most races. The third mile had the longest incline in it so I was nervous that I was pushing it too much and not saving enough energy for that, but I told myself to stop worrying and just run!! So run I did. I typically use the downhills as a time to recover from the uphill but today I used the downhill to make that time up and run faster. I know, this is all probably basics to most people, but I just haven't done it before. I am more of a slow, steady, longer distance runner. At least that's what I've always told myself. I also told myself I'd never be a runner and I have ran close to 20 races including a marathon and three half marathons. Just shows you that anything can happen!

Finishing up at 27:05!! (unofficial time)
Edited: I am so bummed, they did the time only off of gun time so my "official" time is 27:16. Oh well, still a good PR for me. How cool is this, though, that I was #28 out of 134 in my age group! I typically am somewhere in the middle or past, closer to the end...so I'll take that and be very happy for the progress I am making!

Dad (in the white) finishing up just after 25 minutes...wow! Did I mention how proud I am of this dude?? It makes me cry every time. I mean, seeing him laying in that hospital bed last May, skin and bones, and needing help getting into his wheel chair...and now ROCKING a 5k? Seriously, wow.
Edited: 25:31 and #11 out of 33 in his age group (60-64)!! Impressive!
Today was very exciting for me. I was thinking I wouldn't run too many more 5ks, but now I want to run more and get faster! They are just fun and you're done in a half an hour! Why would I stop?? I truly think I just haven't pushed myself to my limit. I CAN do more. Today I had hoped for 27 minutes but I never said it out loud. I am so afraid of failure. That's something else I just need to get over. Especially if I set high goals for myself with these PRs. I will fail sometimes, but I am going to learn from my mistakes and get better!! And guess what? Whether it's a PR or a PW (personal worst) I still have my fan club (a.k.a. my family and BFF) screaming for me as I cross that finish line. Does it get any better than that? I wish I had pictures of all of them, but I had to leave right away to get home, shower and be at a shower for a dear friend by 11:00. I was a little late but I thought she'd prefer me cleaned up and late than the alternative. :)
So I decided on yet another goal for myself. When I was looking at the video that my husband took of me near the finish line I realized I strike down on my heal. I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to do that. In order for me to be a better runner I definitely need to educate myself more. I'd love any advice you may have on that. Have any of you had to change how you run - your stride or anything? Has it helped?
WOW!!
ReplyDeleteA HUGE Congratulations to you AND the rest of your family. You guys all killed this race!!
And how awesome does that photo of you finishing look?? What speedy legs you have. That's insanely fast - I can't even imagine averaging something like that. Very impressive!!
I haven't seen myself run before. I keep reading how you shouldn't land on your heel, and so I have taken notice of how I run on an average training run. I actually don't feel like I am a heel striker. BUT, I know that I DO do that when I am in my final sprint to the finish line. I've seen that as proof in many race photos! I haven't worried about it though since it feels like it is just in those end paces and overall I'm kind of landing in the middle of my foot. At least that's how it feels when I try to pay attention to it.
Congratulations to you and your family! You rocked that race! It's so great that you were all in it together. I love running with my family!
ReplyDeleteI am a heel striker, too. I think most of us naturally do that even though a mid-foot strike is proper form. I try to keep a mid-foot strike when I run up hills, but I often fall back into my old ways.
Congrats on a PR! How fun you raced with your family!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your PR! Great job!!!
ReplyDeleteOn the Greenville Track Club site, they actually do have overall finish times once by gun time and once by chip time. The age group results are only posted by gun time.
I would totally claim the chip time as my PR!!!
Awesome job! LOVE the advice, 'just run fast the whole time.' IT is definitely a new PR!!! Great job and so fun that you do it together.
ReplyDeleteYour strength workout this morning sounds AWESOME!! Hope you are having a great Monday!
Hey Heather!
ReplyDeleteEmail me your address and I will send you your bumper sticker!
5kraeg@gmail.com
Way to run, Heather! Loved this post and all the pics of your family.
ReplyDeleteMy husband is like your brother - he can outrun me anyday, even if he hasn't laced up his shoes in a year. *sigh*
Congrats on such a huge PR. That is just great. being a 9:30/10 runner myself it was very inspiring to see you shave 2 minutes off your time. How fun you got to do it with your family too.
ReplyDeleteAs for form, from my limited knowledge of working at a running store being a heel striker isn't a bad thing. Sure there are ways to adjust your posture, arms, etc but as for your feet you just need to push off quickly. Thus, they say you should hit the ground between your heel and mid foot and quickly roll to your toes. If you were a forefoot striker your wouldn't get that benefit of being able to roll from the back of your foot forward.