Friday, August 6, 2010

Delicious Lentil Sandwhiches

I loved this recipe, but as I told Shannon (who sent the recipe to me), I don't think I can call them "sloppy joes." When I think "sloppy joe", I think meat and lots of it! :) So let's call them "delicious lentil sandwiches." They were very good. Phil, Jake and I all enjoyed them.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbpsn. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 stalks celery, diced
  • 4 minced garlic cloves
  • 1/2 tspn. oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 Tbspn. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 Tbspn. brown sugar (I used Splenda brown sugar blend)
  • 1 Tbspn. dijon mustard
  • 2 cups cooked lentils, drained

Instructions:

  1. Cook onion and celery in skillet until soft, then stir in all the spices.
  2. Add ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, water and vinegar.
  3. Mix and transfer to crock pot.
  4. Add lentils and stir well.
  5. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.


2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I make lentils quite often in pressure cooker- a mandatory kitchen thingy in every Indian kitchen:)
    Most lentils can be cooked in pressure cooker in max. 20 minutes.Saves energy and time:)
    Never had lentil in sandwich before, cant wait to try it. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like this one! It's yummy.

    ReplyDelete